Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

Tails n' Trails 5K

This weekend on Saturday morning was the annual Tails n Trails 5K run supporting the Denton Humane Society.  This is now the 3rd year Husband & I have participated.  I think this was the first time that we had really good weather.  It was chilly last year in the morning but this year was the best.  I was a little nervous about running because I've been so sick & have only done 2 long distance runs outside since the beginning of this month.  And it's always hard for me to get my breathing flowing when it's so cold out.  So I planned on taking a slower pace than I normally would.

We arrived around 7:30am to pick up our packets & then got back in the car to warm up a bit more before the run.  The 10K started at 8am & ours started at 8:15am.  Not only is this placed filled with dogs but most of them are in costumes which makes them even more cute to look at.

A little after our start time we were off.  It was really cold.  So cold my hands & feet became numb while waiting for the horn to go off.  It's always a cluster starting a race because everyone is so jammed up & there were runners with dogs mixed in.  But once we found our pace, it was smooth sailing.  The course got changed up this year & I liked it so much better.  There were more hills but they didn't last nearly as long as they used to.  Husband & I usually start together & then end up going at our own speeds once we find our rhythm.

I ended up having probably one of the best 3 mile runs I've ever had.  I started out strong & was able to keep a steady pace the whole time.  The hills actually helped since they were short so I kind of just let myself comfortably sprint downhill.  The last 1/2 mile I was running next to a really nice girl & she totally kept me motivated.  Every time I would fall back behind her, she encouraged me to keep her pace & before I knew it we were flying through the finish line together.  I always pick up my pace to a sprint at the end of a race when I have an idea how close I am to the finish line.  But she really pushed me hard & I was so grateful for that.

The run was fantastic & I don't know what my time was yet but even if it wasn't as fast as I normally run, it felt wonderful & I was proud of myself.

Afterwards, we chugged water & ate granola bars & fruit while taking in all the adorableness of dogs everywhere.  I'm the weirdo who will walk up to every dog & hug them & kiss all up in their faces.   Of course I carefully introduce myself & always ask if I can pet a dog.  I'm not that person who doesn't care.  But dogs can totally sense if you like them & it's pretty obvious that I more than like them.

There were tons of vendors also.












I love this run & already am looking forward to next year!   

No comments:

Post a Comment