Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

All About Food

I have to apologize because I've been neglecting my readers on new fitness & food things going on in my life.  When I got back from Vegas I posted that I am sadly no longer following a vegan diet.  I know I failed but I put in great effort, I promise.  It was just too hard for someone like me to follow & practice.  If I have more time to cook & really experiment, maybe I'll give it another go in the future.  But for now, I am a carnivore (I don't like that word).  I am choosing to eat organic cage free eggs & chicken.  I fell better about that.  Since my post would be super long if I posted about food & fitness, I'm going to start today's post with my diet & what I've been munching on the past few weeks.   

Ok, so as far as my diet goes, I've been eating 6 times a day which is about every 2 to 2 1/2 hours.  That may sound like a dream & that's what I thought at first but it's hard.  The only meal I'm ever hungry for is breakfast.  The rest of the day, I just eat to fuel my body.  In a way that is a good thing.  I never over eat & don't seem to have cravings like I used to since I don't let myself get hungry.  I think the biggest tip for eating as often as this is portion size.  Take the time to measure your food.  I get the majority of my food prep done on Sundays so everything is ready for me when I need it.  And when I'm making my salads listed below, I'm very careful about measuring all my ingredients.  Salads can be unhealthy if you don't make them the right way.  And I have found that out in the past. 

I keep my portions small but filling & try to get at least 20 grams of protein for my main meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner) & 10 grams for my in between meals.  This is a general day of food for me:

Meal #1 (Yogurt Parfait - 20+ grams)

  • 1 cup Greek yogurt
  • 3/4 cup Kashi cereal
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp flax seeds
  • 1 cup blueberries (or other frozen fruit)

Yogurt Parfait - it might look strange but it's super yummy!
Meal #2 (20 grams)

  • Cliff Builder protein bar

Meal #3 (12 grams)

  • 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese

Cottage Cheese
Meal #4 (Salad - 20+ grams)

  • 2 cups spinach & kale
  • 1/2 cup chicken breast
  • 1/4 cup feta cheese
  • 1/4 cup low sugar craisins
  • 2 tbsp dressing

Lunch Salad
Meal #5 (18+ grams)
3 hard boiled eggs whites or a protein shake made w/ mix & skim milk

Meal #6 (I have 2 options for dinner)
Option #1 (Salad - 20+ grams)

  • 2 cups spinach & kale
  • 1/2 cup chicken breast
  • 1/2 cup black beans
  • 1/2 cup corn
  • 1/4 cup feta cheese
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • red wine vinegar
  • sprinkle of seasoning salt

Option #2 (Fruit & Protein mix - 18+ grams)

  • 3 hard boiled egg whites
  • 1 apple with 1 tbsp of natural peanut butter
  • 1 banana

I try to mix up my dinner so I don't get bored with salad since it's my main meal.  Eventually I might experiment with some other dinner choices.  Since cold weather season is approaching, I'm sure the crock pot will be used quite a bit.  But my lunch is mainly salad because it's filling yet doesn't leave me with that nasty bloated feeling of over eating.  Also, I'm trying to increase my protein intake to at least equal my body weight in grams.  I weigh about 130 but for now I'm taking in about 110 grams of protein.  That's pretty good for me because protein is so filling & it's hard to eat more of it.  I'm slowly increasing the amount of chicken I eat & if I feel like I need some extra fuel, I'll eat some egg whites.  Hard boiled eggs are one of staples for food prep on Sundays.  I make 2 dozen so I have extra & egg whites are super clean protein.  Doesn't get much better than that!

Well that's what I'm eating.  It's not too interesting or creative but I like simple & clean foods that are easy to prepare.  Since I take the majority of the food with me to work, it's nice to have things that are quick & easy.

Tomorrow's post will be all about fitness & my new workouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment